A new setting titled "Enable Enhanced Comment Editor" has been added to the Email to Case Premium Outbound Configuration page. When enabled, the New Comment page will display a new rich text editor.
Upon enabling the setting above, you will also need to update your email templates to use the new "Most Recent Public Comment (HTML)" merge field. For ease, we've included a template in this latest version titled "New Comment Personal HTML (VF)" that already includes this merge field.
Note: Please ensure that all Email to Case Premium end users have been assigned the "E2CP End User" permission set. This will ensure that they are able to access the new merge fields.
Support for the New Comment page:
The new rich text editor on the New Comment page will allow for outbound responses to include the following formatting options:
- Text Alignment
- Bulleted and Numbered Lists
- Indented Content
- Inline Images
- Code Samples
- Inline images added on the New Comment page will be added as Files on the Case. Please consider adding the Files related list to your Case page layouts and configuring Email to Case Premium to handle Files per the following knowledge article.
- In order to insert inline images, you must enable the following settings under Setup | Build | Customize | Salesforce Files | Settings | Content Deliveries and Public Links:
- Content Deliveries feature can be enabled for users
- Public Links can be enabled for users (Requires Content Deliveries)
- Note: If the Content Deliveries and Public Links section does not appear in your Org, please open up a case with Salesforce Support to have the section exposed.
Support for Canned Comments:
The new rich text editor is also available when editing Canned Comments. All of the same formatting features are available along with the insertion of merge fields.
Viewing HTML Emails:
In order to view the HTML of an Email Message (both inbound and outbound), you would traditionally need to open up the Email Message record in a new window and click the link titled "Click here to view HTML version". We have simplified this process in the latest version of Email to Case Premium by packaging an existing add-on of ours called Case Presentation Layer. Please review the documentation here
for setup instructions of Case Presentation Layer.
Features of Case Presentation Layer include:
- Easy view of HTML emails associated with case comments
- Separate buttons for public and private case comments
- Open List button to review a full list of all case comments added on a case
- Ability to track Status and Ownership changes
- Case comment filtering
- Outbound emails sent from the New Comment page will contain the rich text the agent had entered and are visible when viewing the actual email sent., but the Case Comments will continue to be stored in Salesforce as plain text.
- The History Text field which is used in email templates to display a chronology of the most recent 25 public case comments will also continue to be stored as plain text.
- Images / Charts which are copy / pasted in to the New Comment page rather than inserted per the rich text editor may not retain formatting as expected.
- External sources of formatted text (for example, copying from a web page) may include HTML code or require external styling and will produce unexpected results. If this occurs, you can use the source code view to eliminate any unexpected HTML code.
- Additional white space may appear between paragraphs when copied from an external source such as MS Word / Google Docs.
- The Enhanced Comment Editor is available on desktop only, and does not apply to the New Comment mobile action.