Email to Case Premium vs. Standard Email to Case technical / procedural differences:
- When Original Layout is selected for E2CP:
- Inbound Email Message records are inserted with a Status of "Read" instead of "New" to spare end users the need to click in and out of the Email Message to clear the "New" status.
- In addition to Email Message records, Case Comments are inserted for inbound emails on existing (and optionally new) cases.
- Users will utilize the New Comment page for sending outbound emails, creating comments, and performing field updates.Case Comments provides an easier to digest format, but in some instances it may be necessary to refer to the corresponding Email Message record.
- Outbound emails are generally created through the New Comment page. Workflow and the standard Send an Email function are supported, but there won't be a corresponding Case Comment inserted for emails.
- Support agents generally use the Case Comments related list as the "hub" as opposed to Email Messages. Case Comments provides an easier to digest format, but in some instances it may be necessary to refer to the corresponding Email Message record.
- When Case Feed Layout is selected E2CP:
- Users will utilize the Answer Customer Publisher action rather than the standard Email publisher / E2CP New Comment Page for sending outbound emails and performing field updates.
- Tasks (Activities) cannot be inserted for inbound emails. They are redundant to the Email Message and we consider them unproductive. Instead consider Case Flags or similar custom functionality to alert users to new emails.
- Records (Cases, Emails, Comments) are created by the Context User defined in Email Service Routing Addresses. Under the hood, Email to Case (standard) also uses Email Services and the Context User is specified in Support Settings > Automated Case User.
- Attachment placement is configurable for inbound emails and you are not limited to attachments being stored on the Email Message object. On outbound emails, attachments are stored on both the Case and Email Message objects.
- Several custom fields that support various features in E2CP are populated with information on inbound and outbound emails. See Email to Case Premium Field Reference for more information.
- The New Comment page (used with Original Layout selected) updates the Case record, adds a Comment, and adds an Email Message. For specifics on the order of execution, see The Order of Execution - New Comment page.
- E2CP uses the same Case Thread ID to recognize inbound emails related to existing cases. However, for emails sent from the New Comment page, the Case Thread ID merge field must be added in the email template(s) used, generally at the end of the subject and body. Email to Case (standard) will automatically add the Case Thread ID based on configuration in Setup > Cases > Email-to-Case.
For a full comparison sheet, please navigate here
Note: Email to Case (standard) refers to "On-Demand" or hosted Email to Case. The API-based Java solution is not covered.